Saturday, September 4, 2010

It's Labor Day Alright

I don't normally write a blog post like this on this blog. I set this blog up to be a relaxing place to visit and learn. A place of inspiration to dream and go for those dreams. A safe time to spend reflecting on the good in our lives and to give you some ideas to use to move ahead. And, I can't say that the devil made me do it. I am writing this post because I am tired of the unchristian, immoral way that our lives have become.

There are those jobs where some will always have to be at work on this holiday and all holidays: hospitals, police, firefighters, etc.... But, everyone else should be off. They should be allowed to live a day of fun.

Labor Day is an annual holiday to celebrate the economic and social achievements of workers. Labor Day has its origins in the labor union movement, specifically the eight-hour day movement, which advocated eight hours for work, eight hours for recreation, and eight hours for rest.

In the United States, Labor Day is celebrated on the first Monday of September.  This year, as we know, is Monday, September 6.

The first Labor Day in the US was celebrated on September 5, 1882 in New York City and became a federal holiday in 1894. This was actually a sad time for many families because this holiday was set following the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the U.S. military and U. S. Marshals during the so called Pullman Strike. We can thank President Grover Cleveland for seeing this as a political national disaster and to reconcile what had happened he decided to push through Congress this new holiday. He did this in hopes to holt any further problems with the labor movement.

So what else is new? A holiday to solve a political mistake.

I certainly do not want to dampen anyone's festive minds about this holiday. But, I think it is wise to remember that it is truly a labor day for many. Not really a holiday to be spent enjoying one's family and friends around a picnic or cookout because for many this is a day of laboring at a job. Not what I consider a holiday.

To add insult to injury, we did this to our neighbors and friends by being selfish and greedy. We tend to want what we want when we want it. So, what difference does it make if some people have to work because we didn't get to the store earlier. And, let's not forget the financial creed of the company owners and stockholders. After all, it is a good day for a store wide sale and the bottom line of the P&L statement.





As you watch this video, please remember that this is a person holding a position where she gets paid to make "everything" a vase of roses with no thorns:




Now, I want you to watch this video:


For more information about Labor Day try these links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_Day

http://www.dol.gov/opa/aboutdol/laborday.htm

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/september96/labor_day_9-2.html
I sincerely thank all of you that will be working on this Labor Day Holiday and I wish for everyone a day of fun, safety and enjoyment.

If you ever get completely fed up with all this 'Job' stuff let me know. I am a firm believer in working but I believe in working for myself and those surrounding me in my work not a greedy, self-centered corporate CEO.

Many blessings to you on this day and every day...

Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say so please leave your comment. I will respond.